This is My Crowd

This is My Crowd
Picture by: Photography by Vicky Campos

Leave a Comment

I love to have feedback and sometimes the Comment box can be less than cooperative when it comes time to post. I highly recommend selecting the Name/URL option. You can simply type in your name, skip the URL and leave your comment.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Smorgybord Saturday - This Is Halloween

This post is a tad delayed because my life has been merged with the season.  It has become My Life In Harvest Season... or My Life In Pumpkin Peddling, as it were.  In either case, my life has become a blur of pumpkin, straw and cotton candy; it's a bit like having Halloween as a conjoined twin.  It's been good though. 

As the Halloween season comes to an end, here are some new things I've learned after helping run a pumpkin patch for a couple of weeks:

  1. The MSRP of a vehicle is no indicator of what a person intends to spend.  A semi-rude lady pulled up in a brand new, blacked out Jaguar and was annoyed we wouldn't sell large pumpkins for $4 like Trader Joe's.  She left with nothing except the frown she came with.  Conversely, a very kind lady in a 20+ year old k-car made sure to buy a couple of very nice pumpkins for her daughter and grand-daughter.  She left happy and was given a very sizable discount.  Lesson:  Be nice to people, if for no other reason than you might get a better deal JUST for being kind.  Unless you are at Target or Walgreen's or some other retailer that operates on price tags and predefined register buttons, there may be a "Jerk Tax" included on your next purchase.
  2. Most people don't realize how heavy and awkward pumpkins are and ignore suggestions to grab a wagon.  Aside from those coming to pick a single small pumpkin, most people return sheepishly to the wagon area and grab one, force to give us that "You were right." smile.  Lesson:  If someone is more familiar with a situation than you, at least consider their suggestions.
  3. Cotton candy machines should be outlawed.  They are too simple to operate and too easy to flip on.  Also, once you've purchased all of the cones and sugar, it becomes that much easier to justify cone... after cone.... after cone.  Lesson:  See first sentence.
  4. Our pumpkin patch was located within a short jaunt of a Baskin Robbins/ Togo's, which was very convenient for restroom breaks.  However, they also have 88¢ soft serve cones available for purchase from 10am until 10pm.  With 4 kids, it's still a great deal especially when you're searching for a quick and cheap reward for hanging out at a pumpkin patch 19 days straight.  Lesson:  Though soft serve is near impossible to eat on a sugar cone without making a great big mess, it is totally worth it.  Oh, and, eventually, the reward value is diminished when the kids just complain because you won't buy them the good ice cream from the cold case.   
  5. People genuinely appreciate it when you offer to take a picture of their group, once they feel confident you won't steal their camera.  I don't think it resulted in extra sales, but I always felt appreciated and that was enough, only because I really wasn't trying to sell them product they didn't want to buy.  Lesson:  When you are genuine in your motives, you will never be disappointed in the outcome.  Also, really try not to come off as a person that will steal their camera or phone.  It helps if you work there OR have kids.  Kids always give a person moral cred, even if they don't deserve it.
I might yet do one last blog on the pumpkin patch; it was definitely a memorable 2 1/2 weeks of my life.  I pray that my kids will have fond memories of this time and I also pray that they will think of their time relegated in the POD truly as a boys club house and not as the pumpkin patch prison.

All and all, it was a good experience.  I know that I had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people, eat my weight in cotton candy (which is difficult feat, so be proud) and play a part in making fond family memories for every person who wandered onto the Wybie's Pumpkin Patch grounds.  All except for that lady in the Jaguar, of course. 

Here's a Cute Lil Punkin on Her 1st Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time reading your blog. I enjoyed it :). Honestly I never made it out that way and settled for a grocery store pumpkin run but now I wished I would have stopped by. I actually threw out our rotting pumpkins this morning. Thanks for sharing your life stories :)

    ReplyDelete